Have you ever felt betrayed? Chances are your answer is yes, but what about the micro-betrayals you might be feeling in your relationships? These are things we tend to sweep under the rug, but that doesn’t mean that they should be. In this clip from my interview with Dr. Debi Silber on the From Betrayal to Breakthrough podcast, I talk about a few examples of micro-betrayals we really shouldn’t ignore, and:
- What I think about betrayal
- Where betrayal starts
- The danger of one-sided expectations
- How unspoken rules form
- Why I think Tough Conversations should be had about micro-betrayals
- Where I recommend people start with Tough Conversations
- What happens to the body when we receive a shock, like betrayal
- The possible trap you could fall into
- The cost of not bringing up the betrayal and having the Tough Conversation
- Examples of micro-betrayals and how to handle them -The wins we forfeit when we don’t speak up
- The C.A.S.E. model for having a Tough Conversation
- The importance of looking at the event vs what you feel
- What asking permission to have the conversation does
- How sharing your fear creates the space to be heard
- The value of being open to the other person’s world
- The value of being direct vs passive aggressive
- The power of giving the other person the benefit of the doubt
- Are we really ready to hear the hard truths about ourselves?
This was a great conversation with lots of actionable tips and even magic words to start the conversation, so take notes! Let me know your biggest takeaway in the comments below.
You can learn more about Dr. Debi Silber and the From Betrayal to Breakthrough podcast here.